Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Weight

As of yesterday morning, I am the heaviest I have ever been, with the exception of my second pregnancy -- I weighed 199 pounds on the eve of Tigger's birth. I don't know why, but at some point in my life I promised myself that I would never weigh more than 200 pounds, and I have been diligently battling food for (most of) the past twenty years to make sure I kept that promise, previously afore-mentioned pregnancy excluded. I am now dangerously close to breaking that promise, and I am almost frantic in my desire to keep that from occurring.

Last month, I thought I had found an answer … the Weigh Down Diet. Of course, I thought The South Beach Diet was the answer before that, along with the 3-day Fruit Flush diet, The Atkins Diet, The Cabbage Soup Diet, etc. As I mentioned, I have been taking part in a prolonged conflict with food for more than half my life; they say that hindsight is 20-20 and I look back at my 135-pound high school self and regret all the time I was unhappy with my weight and build. I was a cheerleader my senior year, and I wanted to be the girl that was thrown into the air, but I had to accept my status as “base”.

For my current self, I know that the weight I am carrying around is not healthy … I get winded going up stairs, my ankles and feet hurt almost constantly, my waist measurement is 39”, my BMI is >30. I realize that I must make changes in order to lose some of this weight, and it can’t be another diet that calls for drastic changes. In fact, I now believe that a diet is not the answer at all. I need to add physical activity into my day. Certainly healthy food choices will also be necessary, but throughout the war I have relied on controlling the food rather than on exercise. That is about to change.

My goals:
1. I will achieve at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three days per week.
2. I will use exercise bands to achieve three days of strength training each week.
3. I will post my weight on this web site every Monday.
4. I will post any insight as to weight fluctuations, up or down.

I will appreciate any support you provide (be it through your comments or your prayers).

Oh, and my weight as of yesterday morning was 197 pounds.

No comments: