Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day of Fun (and relaxation)

We had a bit of fun today. I hope these are memories the kids will keep:

First a little back-story -- on Friday D and I purchased another vehicle … three months ago we had two, now we have four (and there are still only two drivers in our house). Anyway, through the generosity of D’s mom (“Thanks, Mom!”), we were able to purchase a 1996 Chevy Astro. Today we all took a ride, to the local Baskin Robbins. Each of us got a milkshake: Oreo Explosions for Owl and Tigger, Peppermint for D, Mint Chip for me and Strawberry Cheesecake for Lumpy (most of hers is still in the freezer).

When we got home, D had to leave again -- he has training for work in the nearest metropolis (far enough to drive, too far to come home every night) -- so the kids and I went to the local outdoor swimming pool. We stayed about 80 minutes. Lumpy was having a great time, but her lips were purple within the first half hour; as her teacher has pointed out, she has “no insulation.” Tigger kept bouncing off the high diving board; I jumped once and then dove off the lower board a few times. Owl and I, alternately, watched Lumpy working on her swimming and doing handstands. Although Lumpy rarely let go of the side of the pool, she did work on putting her face in the water and “swimming feet.”

I’m not sure why I’d not thought to visit the pool earlier this summer, and with only 9 days left before school begins, there aren’t that many more opportunities for us to swim, but we might try to go back again before the summer is officially over …

No comments: