Saturday, October 04, 2008

Recycling ... In The Extreme

I try to recycle; and for my area, I think I do a pretty good job. Sadly, this past summer, our University recycling center closed to the public; they now only provide services to the University. There is (and has been for some time) a recycling center that provided more services ... including taking used oil and batteries ... but that is about 15 miles from our house; with gasoline nearly $4/gallon and the relative size of the house in which I live, it is not feasible for me to store the recycling items long enough to make a single trip worthwhile. Therefore, I have had to reduce my recycling efforts to: 1) cardboard - corrugated and the paper that is used to make cereal boxes; 2) paper - mixed and shredded paper; 3) cans - aluminum and tin; 4) glass; 5) plastic - milk jugs and soda pop bottles. This is a much shorter list than I am used to, and it has had an effect on the amount of trash going into our barrel for pick-up. :(

However, even as hard-core as I have been, there are some things that I never would have considered as recyclable. Take, for instance, this article from snopes.com. I understand, on a conscious level, that condoms are made from rubber, and that rubber BANDS are the core of your typical hair band. I also understand, on that same conscious level, that some of the condoms used in the hair bands in question were found to be inferior at the factory and were never used for their original intended purpose. Unfortunately, even having that knowledge at the conscious level does not keep me from having the initial reaction of disgust.

Additionally, when it becomes clear from the article that not all of the condoms used inside the hair bands were sent directly from the factory, but instead may have been recycled AFTER use ... disgust and outrage battle for the upper hand … and end with a resounding EWWWWWWW!

No comments: